Aliança Paraná Sustentável
18 May 2012
Aliança Nosso Paraná Sustentável – state-wide sustainability
Aliança Nosso Paraná Sustentável (Our Sustainable Paraná Alliance) is an ambitious and leading new model for a coordinated cross-sectoral statewide approach to sustainability.
The Alliance is being built from a solid base of collective assets. Leaders from the private sector, government and civil society in the Brasilian State of Paraná have committed to work on a regional and city-wide level to build a state which is sustainable across all domains – ecological, economic, political and cultural.
The establishment and development of the Alliance is being coordinated by a recently formed Regional Secretariat of the UN Global Compact Cities Programme. The Secretariat was formalised in May 2012.
Collaboration of Government, Private Sector and Civil Society
Aliança Nosso Paraná Sustentável will grow to include many groups from across the government, business and civil society sectors in Paranà. The number of individual Global Compact member cities are also growing with the Alliance.
Rio+20 Launch of Aliança Nosso Paraná Sustentável
Governador of Paranà, Carlos Alberto ‘Beto’ Richa presented Aliança Nosso Paraná Sustentável at the high level closing of the Rio+20 Corporate Sustainability Forum on June 18, 2012. He outlined a series of UN Commitments as the first stage of the Alliance’s actions to build sustainability across the State (see below).
There was also a full hour and a half session of the Rio+20 Urbanisation and Cities track dedicated to the launch of Aliança Nosso Paraná Sustanável. Presentations were delivered by:
- Professor Paul James (Director, Global Cities Research Institute/UN Global Compact – Cities Programme)
- Eduardo Manoel Araujo (In Country Convenor, Regional Secretariat, UN Global Compact – Cities Programme)
- Mounir Chaowiche (President, Housing Company of Paraná, also representing the State Governor)
- Jorge Miguel Samek (General Brazilian Director, ITAIPU Binacional)
- Joel Krüger (President, Council of Engineers of Paraná-CREA-PR)
- Father José Aparecido Pinto (President, Social Action of Paraná)
- Lidia Mizote (In Country Convenor, Local Secretariat, Global Compact Cities Programme, Campo Mourão)
First Actions – UN Commitments
|Government Regionalization||Working on it|
|Interactive State Secretary of Urban Development||Geo-referenced data of infrastructure and public services in 36 municipalities||2013|
|Parliamentary Agenda||72 basic studies of municipal development, 2000 professional participations||2012|
|21st Agenda of Campo Mourão – Recovery of the river spring with relocation of families||Working on it|
Economia Criativa e Solidária
|Number of Households of Social Interest Constructed||100.000 urban houses10.000 rural houses||2014|
|Food and Nutritional Security Network (Social Action of Paraná)||320 Organic Agricultural Families, 430 Organic Agricultural Families, 500 Organic Agricultural Families, 13 municipalities reached, 15 municipalities reached, 20 municipalities reached, 1265 tons of food, 1500 tons of food, 1900 tons of food, 82000 people served, 90000 people served, 100000 people served||2012
|Local Productive Cluster Network||Working on it|
|Distributed Energy Generation||Working on it|
Inclusão Social e Digital
|Digital Citizenship||Broadband to 50 municipalities||2013|
|Paraná Family||50,000 individual services sum total, 100,000 individual services sum total||2013
|Management Education of Public Managers||Train 15,000 technologists in Public Management, Post Graduation in Public Administration for 1000 municipal employees||2014|
Gestão de Microbacias
|Participative management of water and soil in micro river basins||Action plans in 50 micro river basins community validated Action plans in 100 micro river basins community validated, Action plans in 150 micro river basins community validated||2012
|Payment for Environmental Services State Law||Regulation of the law||2012|
|Management of Micro River Basins||Number of Partners, Number of Micro River Basins Covered||2012|
|Environmental Risks and Disaster Management||Identification of 70% of disasters risks, Identification of 100% of disasters risks, Institutionalization of the Risks and Disasters State Policy||2014
|Promotion of the economic and sustainable development of agricultural families||50 sustainable business proposals approved and financed, 150 sustainable business proposals approved and financed, 210 sustainable business proposals approved and financed||2013
A Regional Secretariat of the UN Global Compact Cities Programme of Paranà has been formed to establish, develop and expand Aliança Nosso Paraná Sustentável. Its members are:
- The State Government of Paranà – represented by the Secretary of Justiçe, Citizenship and Human Rights, Maria Tereza Uille Gomes, and Luciana Ribeiro Lepri.
- Associação dos Municípios do Paraná (Association of the Municipalities of Paraná) – represented by President, Luiz Lazaro Sorvos and Aurélio Munhoz.
- Cohapar – Companhia de Habitação do Paraná (Housing Company of Paraná) – represented by President, Mounir Chaowiche and Orlando Agulham Jr
- Prefeitura Municipal de Campo Mourão (City Hall of Campo Mourão), represented by Lidia Tomoco Miyagui Mizote
- COPEL – Companhia Paranaense de Energia (Energy Utility Company of Paraná) – represented by Jonel Iurk, José Marques Filho and Ivete Hitomi.
- Federação das Indústrias do Estado do Paraná (Industries Federation of Paraná State) – represented by Edson Campagnolo
- Federação das Associações Comerciais do Paraná (Federation of Comercial Associations of Paraná) – represented by Yvy Karla B. Abbade
- ISAE/FGV (Getulio Vargas Foundation / Superior Institute of Corporations Management) – represented by Norman de Paula Arruda Filho
- ITAIPU Binacional – represented by General Brazilian Director, Jorge Miguel Samek
- Ação Social do Paraná Social Action of Paraná (Caritas), represented by President, Padre José Aparecido Pinto
- Conselho Regional de Engenharia e Agronomia do Paraná – CREA-PR (Regional Council of Engineering and Agronomics of Paraná) – represented by President Joel Krüger
- Instituto Arayara de Educação para a Sustentabilidade (Arayara Institute of Education for Sustainability) – Luciano Planca, Eduardo Manoel Araújo and Marcia Maina.
Through the efforts of Sustainable Paraná Alliance there have been a number of significant outcomes:
- Almost twenty municipalities in Paraná have joined the UN Global Compact – Cities Programme and are working to addressing issues such as social equity, environmental management, sustainable economic development. These include:
- Campo Mourão
- Foz do Iguaçú
- Centenario do Sul
- Jardim Olinda
- Ortigueira (the original municipality to commit to the Global Compact in Paraná)
- Santa Inês
- Santo Inácio
- Telêmaco Borba
- The city of Maringá has become a Leading level city.
- Cities in other states are following the same model, see ‘Four Santa Catarina cities collectively commit to the Global Compact’.
- A number of projects are in development, inclusive of seven coastal municipalities working on a regional collaborative approach to sustainable economic development.