- Public Policy Formulation and Implementation
- Sustainable Development
- Urban Design
Professor Fudge is the inaugural President of RMIT Europe and brings extensive experience and knowledge to the centre. He has enjoyed a long career in Europe and Australia, having worked in universities, government and the private sector.
Professor Fudge was appointed President of RMIT Europe in 2013, having served as Pro Vice-Chancellor of RMIT’s College of Design and Social Context and Vice President of RMIT University since August 2008. He has worked in the two universities in Bristol, UK; the University of Cardiff, Wales; Chalmers University, Gothenburg and Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Stockholm, Sweden; and in government in the UK, the European Commission, Sweden, and for the State Government in Victoria, Australia.
Among his previous appointments are:
- Deputy Secretary, Ministry for Planning and Environment, State Government of Victoria, Australia. (1983 – 87)
- Director of Environmental Services, City of Bath, UK. (1991 – 1996)
- Chair, European Union Expert Group on the Urban Environment (1993 – ongoing)
- Founding Director of the WHO Collaborative Research Centre on Healthy Cities and Urban Policy. (1996 – 2008)
- Chair, European Sustainable Cities and Towns Campaign. (1998 – 2005)
- Chair, OECD International Urban Indicators Panel. (1996 – 2001)
- Principal Advisor DG Research – European Union 5th Framework for Research. (1999 – 2004)
- Visiting Professor, European University Institute, Florence, Italy (1999 – 2004) Chalmers University, Gothenburg; Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) Stockholm, Sweden (2002 – 2004 and 2014 – 2015) and Tokyo University (1998 – 2004)
- Member of the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE) in England. (1999 – 2008)
- Patron of the UK Urban Design Group. (2004 – 2010)
Professor Fudge has been a member of the International Advisory Panel of the Swedish Research Councils; an advisor to the MISTRA Foundation Sweden; a member of the International Advisory Panel for Chalmers University. He is currently Deputy Chair of the Board of the MISTRA Urban Futures Research Centre and a Visiting Professor in Stockholm and Gothenburg.
- Principal consultant, SIDA on the Development of the Public Service in Zimbabwe. (1982 – 1990)
- CABE Representative Australasia (2008 – 2011)
- Board Member of the Commonwealth Human Ecology Council CHEC (1998 – ongoing)
- Chair of the International Advisory Board for Research for Swedish Research Council (2008 – 2011)
- Senior Advisor to the Anglo – Swedish Ministerial Roundtable on the Environment. (2005 – 2010)
- Numerous positions in the South West of England and nationally in the UK in the period. (1990 – 2008)
Professor Fudge has contributed through interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary research on public policy formulation and implementation; cities; sustainable development and adaptation to climate change; public health; demographic change; and urban design. He has won over 27 research grants and has examined 25 PhDs.
This has been recognised through the awarding of the Royal Professorship of Environmental Science by the Swedish Academy of Sciences in 2002 and the award of an Honorary Fellowship of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). He was awarded an Honorary Doctorate in Bristol in 2009 for his work on public policy and sustainable cities.
Professor Fudge has written nine books, more than 150 articles and reports, many book chapters and presented more than 150 conference papers. He has also led major building, urban design and city transformation projects in London, Melbourne, Bath, Bristol and Stockholm.
Professor Fudge is based in Barcelona, Spain.