All city and regional participants of United Nations Global Compact are invited to become core members of the UN Global Compact – Cities Programme.
This membership enables cities and regions to be supported, recognised, active participants of an international network of local and regional governments who are committed to advancing the Ten UN Principles related to:
- human rights
- fair and safe labour practices and equitable livelihoods
- environmental best practice
- anti-corruption and good governance
- and the Sustainable Development Goals.
Members are entitled to specialist services and activities. These are provided by the international secretariat of the UN Global Compact – Cities Programme and in the case of some countries, also by our country representatives.
Benefits and Services
Member cities receive the following services and opportunities.
1. Support with reporting and a platform to communicate achievement
- Project publishing system – we have a flexible online publishing system for members which provides a framework for real time reporting, international recognition and the promotion of leading practice and knowledge exchange (see citiesprogramme.org/projects).
- Printed Publications – member cities and regions have the opportunity to submit case studies on their city or region’s leading initiatives for publishing in the ‘Cities for the Future’ biannual book and as issue-specific resources.
- Communication on Engagement advice and templates – city contact points are supported to develop the mandatory biannual report to the United Nations Global Compact – the Communication on Engagement.
2. Capacity Development and Knowledge Exchange
- Bimonthly Webinars – Cities Programme webinars are facilitated by leading cities and our partners and urban scholars and focus on critical issue areas. They include technical advice, leading practice examples and links to further resources.
- Forums for Sustainable Urban Development – members are invited to attend and present at international and national/regional forums and seminars.
- Peer sharing and community of practice – as a Lead Partner for the World Urban Campaign, the Cities Programme is supporting the development of a community of practice for collaborative Sustainable Urban Development projects. Opportunities for peer to peer sharing of best practice are provided in partnered events with UN Global Compact Local Networks in a growing number of country regions.
- Access to Urban Scholars – the expertise of high level, outcomes-focused urban academics and practitioners is available to our members. These additional Urban Scholar (fee for service) advisory services include independent project scope reviews, technical advice, research synthesis, capacity building and monitoring and evaluation.
3. Dedicated Support
The international secretariat of the UN Global Compact – Cities Programme is committed to long term, close working relationships with our member cities and regions.
Every member city and region has a dedicated Contact Point relationship manager in the international secretariat team (or regional team, if applicable), who:
- systematically develops an understanding (and record) of the city or region’s priorities, challenges and achievements
- organizes quarterly consultation teleconferences
- is available on an as-needs basis
- will seek opportunities to promote the member city or region’s events and achievements and to deepen engagement with the United Nations Global Compact and our network of cities and partners.
The standard annual fee for membership of the UN Global Compact – Cities Programme is USD2,500.
The membership fee is flexible (according to need):
- A sliding scale membership fee is available for smaller municipalities and cities in low GDP countries and in regions facing economic hardship.
- This fee can be scheduled to meet city or state financial budget cycles.
For members with financial challenges, sponsorship from other organisations is encouraged. We will support proposals to private sector partners and publicly recognise support.
Become a member
If you would like to set up a meeting to discuss membership, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .